For the 4th straight year, Penn Intermodal Leasing, LLC is pleased to offer a scholarship opportunity for the 2018/2019 school year. Entry in the contest requires an essay based on one of the following topics. Only one essay per person will be accepted. The best overall essay will receive a scholarship of $1,000. The second and third place winners will receive $500 and $250, respectively.
Essay Topics (Please select just one of the following four options for your essay):
- Which of the following would be most impacted by a trade war with China. Why did you select your response? What impacts should be anticipated for your choice?
- The transport of commodities (e.g. solid goods such as food products, or clothing)
- The transport of liquid products (e.g. milk, water, petroleum, etc.)
- The transport of specialty goods (e.g. electronics, metals)
- No impact
- Blockchain technology, which is used for Bitcoins and other cyber currencies, has applications to verify identity, improve security and streamline complicated contracts across multiple parties. How might this technology be used to expedite the shipment of a poultry vaccine manufactured in the USA to the site of an avian flu outbreak in Northern Ireland?
- Discuss the pros and cons of leasing a large durable asset (such as a car, or tank trailer) vs. loan financing vs. a cash purchase. Which would you recommend? and why?
- Trade associations such as the National Association of Chemical Distributors (NACD) or the National Association of Tank Trucks (NATT) struggle to attract new members and increase member participation. Describe how you would go about getting noticed by a target audience of chemical distributors vs. tank truck drivers? How would you get them to join your organization and become an active member?
- You may only submit one essay per person. Please select one of the 4 questions listed above to write about.
- Length: Approximately 500 -1,500 words
- Proof of enrollment in a college or university for the Fall of 2018 semester must be provided with your essay contest submission.
- Essays must be submitted in English to be considered.
- Submit your essay here: [email protected]
- Contest winners must provide written release for Penn Intermodal Leasing to use name, school, and essay for marketing purposes.
- Essay submission must include full name, email and a mailing address for the scholarship award.
The DEADLINE for submissions is Thursday, July 5, 2018.
We expect to announce the winner on or before Monday, August 6th, 2018.