OUR SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST IS CLOSED.
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
Penn Intermodal Leasing, LLC is thrilled to again offer a scholarship essay opportunity for the 2017/2018 school year. The winner of the best essay on one of the following topics will receive a scholarship of $1,000. The second and third place winners will receive $500 and $250, respectively.
Essay Topics (Select 1):
1. Truck manufacturers and technology companies are developing and testing new technologies for driverless trucks. 1) Discuss the issues and impact of autonomous “self-driving” vehicles to the economy and to society. 2) Discuss whether the type of freight being transported should be a consideration in implementing this technology? 3) Should some industries be given priority, or alternatively, not permitted to use this technology at all? Discuss what industries and why, or why not.
2. Continued growth in domestic US specialty chemical manufacturing is expected over the next 3 – 4 years as a result of lower petroleum and feed stock prices, low energy costs and a favorable regulatory climate. Changes in international trade policy may impact exports of US chemicals. Which proposed foreign policy change is likely to have the greatest impact on the US Chemical Manufacturing industry? Discuss what impacts may result and why.
3. What factors make trucking a desirable or less desirable career choice for young people? How do these factors change as a driver enters middle-age? What would you suggest to encourage driver’s long-term commitment to this profession and promote driver retention?
4. Will pending reforms in healthcare impact the trucking industry? Why or why not? If so, what impacts would you anticipate?
- You may only submit one essay about one of the topics.
- Length: Approximately 1,500 words
- Proof of enrollment in a college or university for the Fall of 2017 semester must be provided with entry submission.
- Submit your essay here: [email protected]
- Contest winners must provide written release for Penn Intermodal Leasing to use name, school and essay for marketing purposes.
The DEADLINE for submissions is Monday, June 26th, 2017.
We expect to announce the winner on or before Friday, July 21st, 2017.